Sunday, December 2, 2012

Worhty Text--The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller

Just cracked opened my new book I purchased through Amazon, The Book Whisperer, and I started reading the reviews and introduction by Jeff Anderson based on what I've read thus far, I'm hooked with what others have to say about Donalyn Miller's influential words from a reading teacher that advocates that the way to get students reading is to have them engage in reading. Obviously, there is more to just engaging in reading. 

Since I just started today, December 2, 2012, I began to check out the quotes from the author through Goodreads website. Several quotes from Donalyn Miller resonated in which I want to keep in mind as I dive into reading The Book Whisperer

"Reading changes your life. Reading unlocks worlds unknown or forgotten, taking travelers around the world and through time. Reading helps you escape the confines of school and pursue your own education. Through characters – the saints and the sinners, real or imagined – reading shows you how to be a better human being." 

 "A classroom atmosphere that promotes reading does not come from the furniture and its placement as much as it comes from the teacher's expectation that students will read."

"The purpose of school should not be to prepare students for more school. We should be seeking to have fully engaged students now." 

"Books are love letters (or apologies) passed between us, adding a layer of conversation beyond our spoken words." 

"I try to teach my students that books are a mirror, reflecting their own lives, and a window, giving them a peek into someone else's."





No comments:

Post a Comment